Bears Loins not a referendum on QB play.

czman

Liked Posts:
I know people hate Cutler and there seems to be a need to point our Cutler’s flaws and then say that QB XX does not have that flaw; therefore, YY.
The problem is, that is not what happened yesterday. Look, we all know Cutler does not throw to a spot, stares down his WRs, and is not very good at reading defenses. He is what he is. Anyone who Thinks Hoyer throws guys open, looks off defenses or reads them well is lying themselves.

Hoyer spent the day staring down receivers, not calling audibles or reading the defense at all, and waiting for guys to break open and then throwing the ball. On the TD to Miller, he started him down and the Loins still blew the coverage. On the big pass to Royal he stared right him on the double move. He had a clean pocket and all day to make that play.

This game was not a referendum on QB play. It was a referendum football. When you give up no defensive TDs, the Bears have not done since 2012, turn the other team over twice near the redzone, and your HB goes over 110 yards on 23 carries, you win the game. The Bears have not had 110+ yards rushing from a RB in over a year. Keeping the QB protected is huge in this league. Cutler has much better footwork when he is not getting hammered. Brady has bad footwork when he gets beat on. All QBs do.

I get it Cutler is not good, but he wins that game. Hoyer is not better than Cutler, and he did not do half the shit people are saying he did. This narrative that Hoyer protects the football, is crap too. He fumbled twice last week and lost one of them. The Bears were down 24 to 3 at half to the Cowboys, that was the least competitive they have been in any game.

Hoyer is hot garbage, who cannot throw guys open, cannot read defenses, stares down receivers, but he has been lucky in that he got to play a Loins team who no longer has Johnson, Suh, and Fairley.

The real take away is, since Langford went down and Howard has stepped in the Bears have look much better. The Bears played much better in the second half against the Cowboys and this week. Howard looks good and if he can run hard and stay healthy, that running style makes me worry a bit, the Bears will be a better team no matter who is at QB.

I don’t know what will happen with Cutler, but I do know that Hoyed walked into a great situation. The starting QB took the beating the first two games so he could step in healthy against lesser talent. The Loins/Colts/Jags have a combined record of 3-9. The Texans and eagles have a combined record of 6-1. Hoyer walked in at just the right time and was incredibly fortunate that Langford went down with injury so that Howard could step in.

I know this is the place where overreaction happens, but let’s not attribute all kinds of skills to people. Hoyer is worse than Cutler and has all of the same flaws along with a shit arm.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
q3iCWqE.gif

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Here we go again. No one is saying that Hoyer is a better overall QB than Jay Cutler. What were saying is Jay Cutler is not better than these career journeyman backup QBs.

The ineptitude lies in giving Cutler long term extensions.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
On my other laptop I have a cool gif of a guy beating a dead horse. Really cool.

The dead horse is every preseason believing that Cutler plays to an acceptable level of consistency. That somehow Cutler's career high in QB rating last year with 21-12 was a sign that he could avoid being the QB he has always been. The dead horse is those who believe that Cutler lies somewhere between mediocre and good.

czman

Liked Posts:
This is why I almost never post here, because the mass amounts of straight illiteracy and ignorance is blinding. I will bold the OP so the mildly literate will get it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Jay will be starting when healthy. This board can cry all it wants, but this morning it sounded like when Jay is back, Fox said he'll be back out there.

And Loggains said same thing.

Continue to cry everyone!

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jay will be starting when healthy. This board can cry all it wants, but this morning it sounded like when Jay is back, Fox said he'll be back out there.

And the Bears will continue to lose with 6 under Center.

czman

Liked Posts:
Here we go again. No one is saying that Hoyer is a better overall QB than Jay Cutler. What were saying is Jay Cutler is not better than these career journeyman backup QBs.

The ineptitude lies in giving Cutler long term extensions.

The thing that kills me, is this not about QBs at all. That is what the tittle of the OP is. I know reading is a skill. This is about running the ball and defense. This is about the overreaction we see on this board when it comes to QBs. The replies to the op just prove that point though. People see Cutler and cannot get past it.

Reading is a skill people.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm with you OP. Hoyer has a good game and everyone is on his nuts.

What I think the talk should be is that for replacement value, Hoyer earns 13 million a year less than Cutler.

So our answer for next season should be finding a long term replacement, but if that guy isn't ready, letting Hoyer start and finding a better way to spend 13 million dollars.

Hoyers play says alot more about letting go of Cutler than it does about keeping Hoyer long term.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You seem to be the one crying. Hoyer has a good game, bears win, and all you can do is bitch. Sad.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm with you OP. Hoyer has a good game and everyone is on his nuts.

What I think the talk should be is that for replacement value, Hoyer earns 13 million a year less than Cutler.

So our answer for next season should be finding a long term replacement, but if that guy isn't ready, letting Hoyer start and finding a better way to spend 13 million dollars.

Hoyers play says alot more about letting go of Cutler than it does about keeping Hoyer long term.

$13-million you say? Do we have any pending free agents who might be worth around $13-million?

It's pretty obvious isn't it?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I know people hate Cutler and there seems to be a need to point our Cutler’s flaws and then say that QB XX does not have that flaw; therefore, YY.
The problem is, that is not what happened yesterday. Look, we all know Cutler does not throw to a spot, stares down his WRs, and is not very good at reading defenses. He is what he is. Anyone who Thinks Hoyer throws guys open, looks off defenses or reads them well is lying themselves.

Hoyer spent the day staring down receivers, not calling audibles or reading the defense at all, and waiting for guys to break open and then throwing the ball. On the TD to Miller, he started him down and the Loins still blew the coverage. On the big pass to Royal he stared right him on the double move. He had a clean pocket and all day to make that play.

This game was not a referendum on QB play. It was a referendum football. When you give up no defensive TDs, the Bears have not done since 2012, turn the other team over twice near the redzone, and your HB goes over 110 yards on 23 carries, you win the game. The Bears have not had 110+ yards rushing from a RB in over a year. Keeping the QB protected is huge in this league. Cutler has much better footwork when he is not getting hammered. Brady has bad footwork when he gets beat on. All QBs do.

I get it Cutler is not good, but he wins that game. Hoyer is not better than Cutler, and he did not do half the shit people are saying he did. This narrative that Hoyer protects the football, is crap too. He fumbled twice last week and lost one of them. The Bears were down 24 to 3 at half to the Cowboys, that was the least competitive they have been in any game.

Hoyer is hot garbage, who cannot throw guys open, cannot read defenses, stares down receivers, but he has been lucky in that he got to play a Loins team who no longer has Johnson, Suh, and Fairley.

The real take away is, since Langford went down and Howard has stepped in the Bears have look much better. The Bears played much better in the second half against the Cowboys and this week. Howard looks good and if he can run hard and stay healthy, that running style makes me worry a bit, the Bears will be a better team no matter who is at QB.

I don’t know what will happen with Cutler, but I do know that Hoyed walked into a great situation. The starting QB took the beating the first two games so he could step in healthy against lesser talent. The Loins/Colts/Jags have a combined record of 3-9. The Texans and eagles have a combined record of 6-1. Hoyer walked in at just the right time and was incredibly fortunate that Langford went down with injury so that Howard could step in.

I know this is the place where overreaction happens, but let’s not attribute all kinds of skills to people. Hoyer is worse than Cutler and has all of the same flaws along with a shit arm.

right...

And when McCown out-played Cutler is was because we played bad defenses. And when Clausen out-played Cutler it was because... whatever other excuse you might want to come up with.

It's plain for everyone with a fucking pair of eyes and a modicum of football knowledge to understand. When even a mediocre journeyman QB does the basics well, they become a better player for the team at the position than Jay. Jay has NEVER as a Bear been able to "just do the basics" correctly consistently.

On our first drive of th game, we opened with a pass. 7 of the first 11 plays (including the TD) were passes. Howard only got the ball 3 times on the opening rive.

Howard was impressive yesterday. No doubt. But to say that it was his play that carried the team, (when Hoyer passed for 300 yard AGAIN with no picks and put up a 104 rating, while completing almost 80% of his passes) is fucking ignorant.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
right...

And when McCown out-played Cutler is was because we played bad defenses. And when Clausen out-played Cutler it was because... whatever other excuse you might want to come up with.
Yeah...this never happened. Stick to the facts, there are plenty. Don't be stupid.