Bushrod gave up 2nd-most QB hurries of any OT in 2012

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
How can you say that after one mini camp session?

Also, I think your characterization of the media mocking the bears is inaccurate. Every article I've seen has described the OL as improved, including bushrod.

You want to go in on a wager about J'Marcus Webb being the starter at the RT position and that Mills will be the backup?

If I win the bet that Webb will be the starter with Mills as his backup I'll go away from message board posting FOREVER if it turns out any other way. No new names, no cute little bullshit...I'll go away forever.

If Webb wins the RT then you go away forever. Plus you can pick any of the remaining scrubs on the roster to beat out Webb for the RT spot.

Hell I'll even give you Kyle Long, you can throw in Long and say what Emery said about believing in Long's versatility and how we believe he can play right tackle. You can have Long, Scott, Britton and Mills to be the starting right tackle....

I'lll take Webb as the starting RT. The loser never posts again.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day people can believe what they want but the numbers say Webb at least this year was never as bad as most Bears fans thought he was. He has gone from the absolute worst pass blocking Tackle in the league in 2010 per PFF to pretty awful in 2011 to below average in 2012. Of course, he had the great fortune of playing on an absolutely terrible line with a QB that the numbers suggest holds the ball too long.

By contrast Bushrod had a god awful year last year and that is with a QB who is well known for getting rid of the ball quickly. In the two yeas previous, he was average to slightly above average.

Take that with a grain of salt but that is what the stats say.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think it's really hard to evaluate OL statistically. He'll be asked to be alone, much like he was in NO. I don't think anyone should think we got a PB LT, but he didn't get that sort of contract either.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Bushrod gave up 8 hits and 46 pressures. That total is 54 and you multiply it by 3/4 to get 40.5. Add to that the 4 sacks and you get 44.5 total. He played 698 snaps so if you subtract 44.5 from 698 you get 653.5.

So what Pass Blocking Efficiency says is that Bushrod did not allow pressure in 93.6% of his snaps (653.5/698). So it does take into account the number of pass blocking snaps although it does not take into account whether that pass play was an obvious passing down or not. If you did the same calculation for Webb for 2012 you get his PBE as 94%. Hence why he was ranked 36th and Busrod 44th.

Thank you for the breakdown. I think a higher amount of passes may indicate more obvious passing downs and a one dimensional offense. Therefore even more difficult to truly state that his efficiency was perhaps better than assumed. Also, a .4% difference is nothing to write home about. I still see him as an upgrade and look forward to having him prove himself to the bears. With that being said I think he may be weak to a bullrush. I think he increased his strength this offseason, which I believe showcases his character and affinity for tape watching.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
The article doesn't take into account obvious passing downs, what about RB/TE chip/double blocks?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bushsrod didn't make the Pro Bowl last year he's been to two Pro Bowl and there isn't a single analyst that doesn't consider his two Pro Bowls a fluke.

By the way Nathan Vasher once made it to the Pro Bowl as well, guess that means he's a great CB the Bears should look into re-singing since they're in need of CB depth.
So, I should assign more value to some group of unpaid bloggers opinions than the players and coaches that play against him on a weekly basis. And I have no clue what the point of your Nathan Vasher statement is. Are you trying to draw a comparison between signing a player in his prime that has been voted by his peers as one of the best at his position 2 of the last 3 years to signing a player that was a Pro bowl player once, 8 years ago, and no longer plays pro football?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Webb is locked in at right tackle NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE is going to compete with Webb at RT.

Not the rookie Mills, not Scott and not Britton who has played in like 16 games in four seasons in the NFL.

Since everyone is already talking about ProFootballFocus and their stats I long ago compiled the ProFootball Focus metrics.

The only people who think Bushrod is a clear upgrade over Webb are Chicago Bears fans...everyone else is pointing and laughing at the Bears for the money the invested in Bushrod. Do a quick web search and there's plenty of articles mocking the Bears for signing Bushrod.
Are you saying that is your article?

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only the Bears had someone at Halas Hall who had worked with Bushrod previously, they would have known about this guy. They could have avoided this colossal mistake and not ruined the future of the franchise!!!

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The article doesn't take into account obvious passing downs, what about RB/TE chip/double blocks?

You can't fairly calculate that type of statistic because there is no way to know if a player received help on that play because he sucks or if because there was no one else to block so the back, TE or offensive guard gave help because he had no one else to block.

If the protection call states that a RB or a TE is supposed to stay in help when their pre-snap read and protection call sees a blitz from the defense because that's what the alignment by the defense dictates then that player may chip or double team as a result. You're asking a extra blocking assignment question that no one can answer because they don't know what the line call was.

Yes sometimes it's VERY obvious that a player was getting help, Webb got help, but there was a lot of times where Bushrod received the same obvious help that Webb did.

Overall the difference between the help that Bushrod received and the help that Webb received is was about equal.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bushsrod didn't make the Pro Bowl last year he's been to two Pro Bowl and there isn't a single analyst that doesn't consider his two Pro Bowls a fluke.

Hey, how much do you think the cap hit would be if they cut him?

tumblr_mcw4ov7sIU1rrzoiu.gif

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you saying that is your article?

Let them mock and laugh. I'm pretty sure Kromer knows what he's getting and I'm sure he knows he's not Ogden. Bears have 5 guys who can potentially play tackle now and the offense will keep the DL honest. I think the OL could be a strength this year.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So, I should assign more value to some group of unpaid bloggers opinions than the players and coaches that play against him on a weekly basis. And I have no clue what the point of your Nathan Vasher statement is. Are you trying to draw a comparison between signing a player in his prime that has been voted by his peers as one of the best at his position 2 of the last 3 years to signing a player that was a Pro bowl player once, 8 years ago, and no longer plays pro football?

Dude we get it you LOVE Jermon Bushrod and hate J'Marcus Webb. You've brought nothing new to the discussion. Find me someone outside of the Chicago Bears beat writers:

Vaughn McClure, Brad Biggs, Jeff Dickerson, Michael C. Wright, Sean Jensen, Adam Jahns, etc etc that likes the pick up of Bushrod hell find me one article those guys wrote that indicates that they've watched one hour of All-22 tape on Bushrod.

I promise you not one of the writers you'll find that will defend your point about Bushrod has watched one game of his.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Hey, how much do you think the cap hit would be if they cut him?

tumblr_mcw4ov7sIU1rrzoiu.gif

Aw aren't you so witty with your GIFs...I know your GIFs make you such a better more knowledgeable fan.

Tell me how much All-22 tape on Bushrod have you watched?

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dude we get it you LOVE Jermon Bushrod and hate J'Marcus Webb. You've brought nothing new to the discussion. Find me someone outside of the Chicago Bears beat writers:

Vaughn McClure, Brad Biggs, Jeff Dickerson, Michael C. Wright, Sean Jensen, Adam Jahns, etc etc that likes the pick up of Bushrod hell find me one article those guys wrote that indicates that they've watched one hour of All-22 tape on Bushrod.

I promise you not one of the writers you'll find that will defend your point about Bushrod has watched one game of his.

So you want an article in which one of those reports writes, "I've watched one hour of all-22 tape on Bushrod." or else their opinion doesn't matter.

mj-laughing.gif

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aw aren't you so witty with your GIFs...I know your GIFs make you such a better more knowledgeable fan.

Tell me how much All-22 tape on Bushrod have you watched?

No, explain to us how the salary cap works, again.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You pay too much attention to the media. If you did it critically, you'd realize they are wrong as often as we are, if not more.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So you want an article in which one of those reports writes, "I've watched one hour of all-22 tape on Bushrod." or else their opinion doesn't matter.

mj-laughing.gif

So all you can add to this is witty pictures....good for you, no wonder every takes you so seriously as a smart guy.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lame, go clean my toilet.